Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Southern Stupidity Solved

Do you ever do what you don't want to do? I know, I know, it sounds dumb. Umm, no, Lindsay, if I don't want to do it, then why would I? But, I don't think I'm the only one who struggles with this.

Usually it's doing something that we know isn't good for us in the long run, but would feel good in the moment. Or maybe it doesn't even make you feel that great, but it momentarily quenches your thirst for something bigger. Or it takes your mind off of something else. There are so many ways this applies. The obvious is food or smoking or alcohol. Now, sometimes, we overeat because Granny just made her (in)famous chocolate layer cake and it's soooo good we just can't stop at four pieces. But, usually, I think it boils down to something inside.

I've seen so many girls who long for that knight in shining armor to come and love them. They want that good guy, the smart one, the honorable one, the loyal one. But, until they find him, they try to satisfy themselves with bedding Mr. Right Now. (Sugarland, anyone?) It's not all that hard to understand, really. Women need to be validated, to feel like someone needs/wants them.

But, it usually doesn't take very long to realize that Mr. Right Now, or all that food or booze, didn't quench anything at all. It just made the thirst for something real even stronger.

When we think of Paul, who wrote Corinthians and Romans, we think of a man of God, right? I know I do. But he struggled with this very same thing:
Romans 7:15 says, "I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do, but what I hate, I do." I mean, can I getta Amen?! So even if ya'll are perfect, Paul knows what I'm talking about!

Annd...the Bible doesn't leave us without the answer. What do you think about memorizing this verse with me, carrying it around in your mind and heart and throwing it out there when you're about to do something you don't want to do?? Here we go:
Romans 7:21 "So I find this law at work: When I want to do something good, evil is right there with me. 22 For in my inner being I delight in God's law; 23 but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the laws of my mind and making me a prisoner of the laws of sin at work within my members. 24 What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God, through Jesus Christ, our Lord!

I'm going to tattoo this verse on my brain, so I can say it - even shout it if I need to - the next time I go to do something I don't want to. No matter how many times I fail Him, He will not fail me (or you)!

1 comment:

  1. Yes, you can get an amen from me! Been there, done that, Paul! And it's such an encouragement to know that Paul, one of the greatest Christians to ever live, had been a follower of Christ for 17 years when he wrote that statement! There's hope for us all!
    Love, MOM

    ReplyDelete