Wednesday, November 25, 2009

How much has changed in a year!

So this Thanksgiving is shaping up to be very different than last year's. This time last year, I was at my apartment in Florence by myself, getting ready to turn a story on Thanksgiving, while my family was all together elsewhere. I actually didn't mind working that day, I got to do a 'feel good' story about helping the hungry on Thanksgiving. But, last year, having to work all the holidays, I realized one thing: being with my family is the most important thing to me. I love it. I mean, I eat it up! How could I not? Have you met these people?
There's my Dad. He can wake up on the wrong side of the bed sometimes and he can be quite harsh. But, he works so hard all the time to provide for his family. He can't stand it when we're sick or in pain, and he loves to help us with anything.
There's Momma. If you've met her, you know why I love her. She's selfless. She's a role model.
There's my big sis. Not only is she beautiful, but she's intelligent and funny. And she roots for the underdog (big plus if you ask me), she's compassionate, persistent. God has given us a special bond that I'm so grateful for.
Oh, lordy. My extended family. I've often thought God must've favored me a little, because why else would he surround me with the most wonderful people on planet earth? Seriously! He gave me Robyn. She's more than a best friend, she's a sister. He gave me my crazy, smart, lovable, beautiful, fun cousins in Alabama! He surrounded me with the good-hearted, good-looking, Christian role models, loyal, fight-for-you, always-be-there-if-you-need-them Zorns and Renews in South Carolina. Whew! See what I mean? I think God kinda likes me...a lot.
So, as I sit here in Canada, thinking about how much has changed since this tine last year, I realize this holiday is about more than tryptophan, expanding tummies, and turkey. It's about enjoying time together and giving THANKS to The one who deserves it more than one day a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment