Wednesday, January 19, 2011

I just don't have time

I haven't blogged in awhile. I've thought about it, and have even thought of several blogs that need to be written. They'll pop in my head, and I'll start writing (still in my head) them and then I'll think, "I'll never remember just how to write this if I actually pull up my computer and then it won't be as good," so then I just don't do it. And I've been busy. If you asked me about it, I'd probably tell you, "I just don't have time."

There are a lot of things "I just don't have time" for:

-cleaning my room (oh darn)
-cooking healthy meals and taking the left overs to work for lunch the next day like a good little dieter (eating out is much more fun!)
-lifting those lil 5lb weights that have been sitting by my bed for a year now
-taking Lou for long walks (he likes the cold)
-calling my friends more often
-taking more than 30 secs to throw on clothes and makeup when I leave the house (sorry to Abbeville and the surrounding area for my scary appearance as of late!)
-having the hard conversations that need to be had
-reading my Bible every morning

And the list goes on. But, something I heard tonight really resonated with me: God always gives you enough time in the day to do His will. Let that sink in. Each day has a mission, a purpose, a plan. Each choice follows the path or veers from it. Each waking moment is a chance or a missed opportunity.

Jesus had only 1,000 days to make the biggest impact any man has ever made on this earth! He didn't waste even a SECOND. This doesn't mean we should run around with no sleep - rest is an investment, too! But, it means to make the most of our time, to fulfill our purposes and not waste our lives, we have to prioritize.

When we say, "I don't have time," what we are really saying is, "I'm not making time for that b/c it's not as important to me." It doesn't sound nearly as pretty, but it's so true. When I lay in bed and talk to God at the end of an exhausting day and I say, "God, I'm sorry I didn't read your word today, but you understand, right? I just didn't have time, I really didn't," what I am really saying is, "I chose ________ over you." And, yes, that happens, and yes, God has grace for that, but no, it is not living in His will!

The most important thing in a Christian's life should be his/her relationship with the Creator. Period. End of story. Having some distraction-free quiet time with God every day is a must. It should be numero uno, priority one. It's what sets our lives on course and brings us into a more intimate knowledge of Him. We have time, we just have to choose it. I'm choosing to maximize my time here and have the least regrets...that starts by getting on my knees before my Lord in the morning. No more snoozing and rolling over, I "just don't have time" for that anymore!!

1 comment:

  1. Gosh have I been hit hard with this message lately! The last Bible study I was in was "Victoriously Frazzled Female", and one part in particular really struck me. It said that we might not have a lot of time, but we always have some time. So, I absolutely agree that it is simply our choosing to put things before God when our relationship with God should be our number one priority. It really points out a disconnect between what we say and what we do. If the way we spend our time doesn't reflect our true priorities, then I don't know what does!

    ReplyDelete