Thursday, February 18, 2010

Better than Chocolate...

As I've been on this topsy-turvy journey of 'what in the world should I do with this life?' I've realized a few things about happiness.

I've always heard that money doesn't make a person happy. But, I always thought that was just something parents told their children so they wouldn't be disappointed if they weren't rich one day. 'Ah, you don't wanna be rich like them. Money doesn't make you happy anyways.' Riiiight. But, I honestly now believe it. And not just because I don't have much money. Or I think that's why anyways. :) All you gotta do is just take a look at the lives of many celebrities...chaos. Or all those people who win the lottery...divorce, family feuds, murder! Now don't get me wrong, money can help solve many problems and make life easier, but it alone doesn't make people happy.

And you and I both know those people who are 'married to' their jobs. Workin 100 hours a week to be the best, or to get rich (come on folks, did you not read the above paragraph?!), and to move up the corporate power ladder. It's actually kinda sad the way work can consume one's life and become one's all in all. I was headed in that direction myself and know that it doesn't make one happy.

So what is it? What's the key to happiness? Obviously, if you've read my blog before you know I'm going to say that salvation, and thus knowing that God has already won the battles we face, is the only way to true joy. That even in the darkest of times, where it seems there's no hope, that you can know that there IS hope, indeed. And that can lend happiness to the bleakest of days.

But, I've also discovered something else this year. Being surrounded by those who you love and who love you back is important to happiness. We were put on this earth to fellowship. With God ultimately. And with those around us.

I think we are the happiest when we are with people who are like-minded. I even read (msn.com) that spending quality time with people you love can strengthen your immune system! I don't doubt it for a second. who has time to be sick when you can't stop laughing and smiling?

My happiest times are easy to create. Hanging out at a friend's house just talking with my best girl friends, road trips with Robyn, laughing with my sister, visiting family on holidays, or eating dinner with my parents. They're happy times because these people love me and make me smile. These are people I know I can count on, trust, and share secrets with.

Loneliness is one of the worst feelings in the world. So if you don't have someone who loves you, who makes you smile...then be that person to someone around you who is lonely. I guarantee you, you will make a fast friend. I'm not trying to offer 'Lessons On Life by Lindsay' or anything, but I am excited to share about something that could help with your happiness! You all know how much I LOVE CHOCOLATE. Creme-filled. Fruit-filled. Nougat-filled. Peanutbutter-filled. Cakes, cookies, brownies, pies...but being around people who love you, well, that's even better than chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment