Thursday, January 7, 2010

Everywhere

I learned an important lesson yesterday. One I should've gotten a long time ago.

So I went to get my hair cut yesterday and well, was just expecting to get my hair cut and leave, per usual. God had other plans. Did you know he's everywhere? I knew, but yesterday it smacked me in the face.

I sit in the seat, all tucked into my protective shaw-thingy they always wrap around you, feet evenly spaced, looking straight ahead so as not to get a crooked cut, and my stylist (who has known me since college) says, 'tell me what's new with you.' I'm filling her in on my ups and downs of late and telling her that I'm not sure what career is right for me. I tell her I feel I've sorta been put in a holding place where intimacy with God is my number one priority. She stops cutting. Looks me straight in the eyes and says,' Are you totally sold out for Him?'

Okay, so let's stop right there. We're at her hair salon, this is supposed to be business. I remember a time in high school when a friend witnessed to someone on the job and other friends criticized him for that, saying that the professional setting is no place to talk about faith. Ashamedly, I agreed with them. Work is work. You shouldn't talk about things that may (heaven forbid) make someone uncomfortable or offend anyone. I mean, they might actually have to think on something you said! That's just unprofessional. Right?

So I'm sitting in my 'hair chair,' the nappy mess atop my head at this woman's mercy, thinking, 'is this the time and place for her to ask me this?' And then it hit me. He's everywhere. Anywhere and anytime is the right place to talk about the whole reason we're here. What kind of faith does it show if we box him in? If we can't talk about him from 8a-5p, can we talk about him at dinner with friends after? What about dinner with new people? Sporting events? Or should we just leave the God talk at church? If so, we're neglecting the entire basis of Christianity. To know Him and make Him known. Everywhere.

Turns out my stylist had some wise and encouraging advice that I desperately needed to hear. I could've politely stopped her and been out the door with my new hair cut. But I would've missed out on something precious that my Savior wanted to tell me! If He is truly Lord of my life, then He takes precedence over all else.

If we don't hear his voice audibly, how does he speak to us? The Bible, obviously. And the Bible says he uses dreams...and other people! Now I'm not saying we should go around spouting out Bible verses constantly and smacking people over the heads with our 'religion,' but I'm not boxing Him into Sunday mornings. We should 'walk the walk,' and not be afraid to 'talk the talk.'

In a world filled with politically correct rules there's little room for God to move. And we miss out on who knows what! So you can call me 'uncool,' or label me a Jesus 'freak' (there's no greater compliment, by the way), or tell everyone 'that Lindsay Tyner has turned into one of those crazy Christians. I mean, no one can relate to those types anyway.' It doesn't matter, cause I ain't missin out on anything He wants to share with me! Anytime. Everywhere.

3 comments:

  1. I want to know what you told her! (I mean, obviously you're sold out, but what did you say and how did she respond?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindsay, I just wanted you to know I have enjoyed reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Erica! :)
    Corey - she asked me if I was sold out. I told her yes, I am. Then we talked for an hour and a half! She told me if I'm sold out and letting Him guide my life then I don't need to worry (which I do). And she told me some things she felt led to tell me, which were of great encouragement. Just that I should be in the word more and be ready b/c 'it' is coming soon! (Job, I'm thinking.)

    ReplyDelete