Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Thoughtful on a Tuesday

"Lindsay, I know it's your day off, but can you come in today and meet with me?" said my boss.
"Ummm, sure," I said very reluctantly, because it was my day off, but more so because I knew this couldn't be good. I racked my brain and knew I had done nothing wrong, but still I had a sinking feeling in my stomach. It was January and our news station had already had three rounds of lay-offs, some workers who were much more tenured than I.

That sinking feeling was confirmed when I sat down at a conference table with my news director and our station manager. "Lindsay, you know how the economy is really affecting TV stations right now, and..."
"Just spit it out," I interrupted (yes, can't believe I did that, but curiousity was killing me), "am I being laid off?" Then, with tears in her eyes, my news director told me they could no longer afford my position. She said some really kind words and I knew it was through no fault of my own, but still, it stung.

My immediate thought was, "I'm supposed to go home." I had no idea why, but it was immediate and I felt a peace about it. I've always been close to my parents and liked being around them, but home was somewhere I really hadn't lived since I was 18. In college, during the summers, I worked in different places and never lived at home. After graduation, I lived in the Dominican Republic, then in Charleston before moving to Florence. But, somehow, the very minute I was laid off I knew I was supposed to go home.

Convincing my father that I was supposed to be home was a different story. "You can get a part-time job until something permanent comes a long and I'll help you with your rent," he said.
"Dad, I'm coming home, I really feel like it's what I'm supposed to do...oh, and I'm bringing my dog." Boy, how he did not want a puppy in his house!



I've been home over a year and a half now and it's been hard. I've had work most of the time, but nothing yet that I feel like is my 'career.' For a long time I allowed myself to feel shame or even failure because I was living at home with my parents after having graduated from college and been out on my own. But, I just knew I was where I'm supposed to be.

And recently, God has changed my perspective. Now I'm thankful for this time I've had at home. I'm thankful for this time with my family, for the time to try out all kinds of different careers I'd never considered, for the opportunity to invest my life in different ministries, and mostly, I've realized God wanted this time with me so I would seek Him.

I've learned a lot about what's important in life and about pleasing God instead of people. I've still got a lot to learn and I'm still not sure what's next, but at least now I'm thankful for each day of the journey.

When I leave and take Louie with me...Thom Tyner will not be a happy camper. He LOVES his grandpup now!



Oh, and Louie is thankful for this time at home, too. He is SPOILED rotten!

No comments:

Post a Comment